There’s a good reason most households change toilet seats every few years – new models are released and let’s face it, your old toilet seat can get pretty worn out. There’s nothing like a new toilet seat to make you feel better on the throne!
Once you’ve decided it’s time to buy a new seat for your toilet, you can either hire a plumber or head out to your local hardware or plumbing store to buy a new one.
Keep in mind that there’s a range of toilet seat sizes and shapes on the market and retro-fitting a toilet seat can be rather fiddly.
Here are some tips on how to choose and fit a toilet seat when your old one is ready for the toilet seat graveyard:
How to choose a toilet seat
Well, it does come down to taste but a good toilet seat is one that you don’t even notice.
- It needs to be so comfortable you don’t even think about it.
- Also look for one that’s easy to install as there’s nothing more frustrating than wrestling with a toilet seat that is so complicated to fit.
- Choose a toilet seat that will fit the most popular toilet brands (such as Toto, Crane, American Standard and Kohler).
- Find out that’s made of tough polypropylene plastic and make sure the color matches your pan.
- You also want it to look stylish and modern so a great idea is to check out these toilet brands and make sure any toilet seat you choose matches the design of one of these.
How to fit a toilet seat
Step 1 – Get the right measurements
Make sure you get your measurements right. This is the most important step and knowing what you’re doing can save tons of time and frustration.
- The standard measurement of a toilet seat is about 5 and 1/2 inches between the holes, from post hole to post hole at the back of the seat area.
- Make sure you measure the broadest section of the bowl’s width.
- Measure from center to center – start at the center front of the toilet bowl stretching the tape to the center of the hinges between the post holes.
Step 2 – Pick the right toilet seat shape
In the USA, there are two main kinds of toilet seat shapes:
Round toilet seats
Round toilet seats are usually around 16.5 inches
Elongated toilet seats
Elongated toilet seats are 18 inches and the most popular ones in restaurants, hotels and toilets that are in malls.
Choosing the right one will depend on the toilet you have at home. So check it out and make sure you select one that suits the shape of your toilet.
Step 3 – Record your measurements
Not sure exactly what shape your bowl at home is? Ok, here’s an easy way to do it.
Remove the seat from the pan and take a photo of the pan from above.
Take the photo along with you to the hardware store to make sure you get the right seat.